Stop by Kennywood on Friday, September 9 from 4:30pm-9pm for the ultimate in hometown Pittsburgh food and fun! The annual celebration will feature our city’s favorite food from over two dozen restaurants, chefs, and pierogi purveyors who will be serving up hot and delicious pierogies, creative pierogi-inspired dishes, dessert pierogies, and more!
We thought the perfect #JeetJet Recipe this week would be, what else, pierogis!
Here’s a great Potato Pierogi recipe from our friends at KB Plumbing. Enjoy!
- 10 lbs Idaho potatoes 5 lbs of Land O Lakes yellow American cheese.
- Peel and dice potatoes and cook until soft. Drain. Mix potatoes with LOL American cheese. Let cool.
- Onion/Butter Mixture:
- 2 lbs yellow onions 6-8 sticks of margarine
- Slice onions and Sauté with 6-8 sticks of margarine.
- 16 cups of flour
- 8 tsp salt
- 8 eggs
- 4 cups of water
- Sift flour and salt.
- Make a well in the center, add eggs, beat eggs, then add water.
- Knead dough until soft and a bit tacky in texture.
- Divide dough into 8 parts and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Roll out one part at a time on a floured surface as thin as possible. Cut into 2 inch squares. A ravioli or pierogi press can also be used.
- On each square spread a tsp or so of potato filling.
- Dip your finger in water and gently coat 2 sides of the square to make sure the pierogi stays folded. Fold each square to make a triangle. Pinch edges firmly.
- Drop into boiling and oiled water.
- Stir once they rise to the top and remove with a slotted spoon after 5 minutes.
- Drain and place in Pyrex dish.
- Pour melted butter and sautéed onions over top.
*This recipe makes approximately 200 pierogies.