Asparagus, Bacon and Egg Salad – a classic dish many people can’t get enough of.
What is it about this dish that has captured many hearts and taste buds? Is it the crisp crunch of fresh asparagus, the salty, savory taste of bacon, or the creamy texture of hard-boiled eggs? Maybe it’s all of the above.
For those who have never tried this salad, let me break it down for you. First, you start with a bed of fresh greens – usually something like spinach or arugula. Then you add in the star of the show – asparagus that has been lightly steamed or roasted to bring out its natural sweetness. Next, you sprinkle on some crumbled bacon for a salty, smoky flavor. And finally, you top it all off with some hard-boiled eggs, chopped up into bite-sized pieces.
Whether your gatherings with loved ones take place in the family kitchen, on the patio or at a picnic area, this Asparagus, Bacon and Egg Salad makes for a perfect brunch or appetizer that leans on ingredients like asparagus.
As a nutrient-dense, low-calorie vegetable with no fat, no cholesterol and little sodium, it’s also easy to prepare – don’t overcook it. Look for thicker spears at the store, as they tend to have greater texture and more flavor and tenderness because the fiber is less concentrated.
Watch video to see how to make this recipe!
Asparagus, Bacon and Egg Salad
Recipe courtesy of Ashley from “Cheesecurd in Paradise” on behalf of the Michigan Asparagus Advisory Board
- 6 bacon slices
- 1 pound fresh Michigan asparagus, ends trimmed
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons champagne vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 hard-boiled eggs, peeled and quartered
- 2/3 cup halved cherry tomatoes
- 1/4 cup sliced green onion
- In skillet, cook bacon until crisp. Remove from pan. Set aside.
- Cut asparagus into four pieces. Add asparagus to same skillet used to cook bacon. Cook until fork tender, about 4 minutes, depending on thickness of asparagus.
- While asparagus cooks, prepare dressing. Whisk oil, vinegar, honey, mustard, salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Chop bacon.
- Remove asparagus from pan and place on platter. Top with chopped bacon, eggs, tomatoes and green onion. Pour dressing over top.
It may sound simple, but the combination of flavors and textures is truly magical. The asparagus adds a fresh, slightly bitter taste that balances perfectly with the salty bacon and creamy eggs. And the greens provide a refreshing crunch that ties everything together.