Colder, shorter days call for a little comfort. Cozying up with a hearty meal on brisk winter evenings can help fight off the chill while savoring your favorite flavors alongside the ones you love.
Avoid venturing into the cold for a trip to the store by turning to a pantry staple like sweet potatoes. As one of the most versatile veggies, they’re easy to add to various recipes while enhancing flavor and nutrition. Perfectly suitable for simple and elevated dishes, they can be baked, microwaved, grilled, slow-cooked, or prepared on the stove, so their sweet taste never goes out of style.
When your family needs a warm-up on those frosty days, put sweet potatoes at the center of mealtime (with an added kick) in this Jalapeno Sweet Potato Chowder. Loaded with the flavors of winter comfort, it’s a filling meal that makes enough for a crowd, so no one goes hungry.
Watch the video to see how to make this recipe!
Jalapeno Sweet Potato Chowder
- 2 large North Carolina sweet potatoes, baked
- 1 small onion, 1/4-inch diced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 quart chicken or vegetable stock
- 2 cups cooked chicken, cubed
- 1 1/2 cups whole corn kernels
- 2 teaspoons minced jalapenos
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon salt
- chopped scallions for garnish
- Peel baked sweet potatoes; discard skin and puree.
- In a soup pot, saute onion in butter until softened. Add pureed sweet potato and stock, as desired. Bring to a boil, reducing the liquid slightly.
- Add chicken, corn, jalapenos, heavy cream, and salt. Simmer for 10 minutes.
- To serve, ladle into bowls and garnish with chopped scallions.
Visit ncsweetpotatoes.com to find more comforting meal ideas.